Basic child support modification advice

There may come a time when you are unable to pay the full amount of child support owed to your child's other parent. As badly as you may feel about this, it is your right to request a modification.

Getting a child support modification is easier said than done. Just because you want to pay less in child support doesn't mean the court will sign off on you doing so. Of course, if you can prove a change in financial circumstances, it is more than possible to have this approved.

First things first, don't delay in taking action. As soon as you realize you need a child support modification, you should contact the court to discuss your situation. Waiting until you miss payments is not a good idea.

At some point, you should let the other parent in on your situation. This is often the best way to avoid the cost and time associated with the court system.

Finally, make sure you formalize everything by requesting the child support modification with the appropriate family court. Whichever court issued the child support is the one that can assist with a modification request.

Paying child support can take a toll on your finances. This is particularly true if your situation has changed, such as losing your job or taking a position that pays less than what you were earning in the past.

With the right approach, you can modify your child support payment to better suit your situation. This will help you financially, while still allowing you to take care of your child.

Source: FindLaw, "Child Support Modification Tips," accessed March. 31, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Rosen & Rosen, LLP
One City Boulevard West, Suite 1110
Orange, CA 92868
Local: 714-939-0111
Toll free: 877-600-8257
Fax: 714-978-7347
Map and Directions

Free Initial Consultation*
*consultation fee waived upon retention

Rosen & Rosen, LLP, provides legal advice and representation to clients in Orange, California, and communities throughout Orange County, including the cities of Yorba Linda, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Santa Ana, Fullerton, Anaheim, Tustin, Brea, Placentia, Garden Grove, Anaheim Hills, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest and Laguna.