Law Offices of Rosen & Rosen, LLP

Attorneys at Law

Call Today To Schedule A Consultation
Get Map & Directions
Findlaw Network Badge

Basic child support modification advice

On Behalf of | Mar 31, 2015 | Child Support

There may come a time when you are unable to pay the full amount of child support owed to your child’s other parent. As badly as you may feel about this, it is your right to request a modification.

Getting a child support modification is easier said than done. Just because you want to pay less in child support doesn’t mean the court will sign off on you doing so. Of course, if you can prove a change in financial circumstances, it is more than possible to have this approved.

First things first, don’t delay in taking action. As soon as you realize you need a child support modification, you should contact the court to discuss your situation. Waiting until you miss payments is not a good idea.

At some point, you should let the other parent in on your situation. This is often the best way to avoid the cost and time associated with the court system.

Finally, make sure you formalize everything by requesting the child support modification with the appropriate family court. Whichever court issued the child support is the one that can assist with a modification request.

Paying child support can take a toll on your finances. This is particularly true if your situation has changed, such as losing your job or taking a position that pays less than what you were earning in the past.

With the right approach, you can modify your child support payment to better suit your situation. This will help you financially, while still allowing you to take care of your child.

Source: FindLaw, “Child Support Modification Tips,” accessed March. 31, 2015

Findlaw Network Badge