We can help you get more child support if needed

It's very expensive to rear a child here in Southern California. If you are a divorced parent who relies on child support from your child's other parent, it can sometimes seem that the amount you receive falls far short of meeting your child's needs.

That can be especially true if you face a sudden hardship like an unexpected job loss or are felled by a serious illness and can no longer work. If something like this occurs, you may wonder if you can seek additional child support from your co-parent.

In some cases, it might be possible to file a petition with the court to increase the amount of child support that you receive. However, you need to be prepared to back up that request with evidence that circumstances have changed markedly and that there is also a need for more support.

Often, the best course of action is to approach your co-parent and explain that under your present financial circumstances, the child support they are paying is insufficient to cover your child's needs. They may willingly kick in extra support to get you through the difficult period. However, many parents may figure that they are already cash-strapped from the present child support amount in the order and they cannot afford to give you any additional funds.

If you can prove that they just got a raise or otherwise improved their financial condition, the court may look more favorably upon your petition to increase child support.

We can review your case and recommend how best to proceed if you would like to revisit the amount of child support you receive from your ex.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Rosen & Rosen, LLP
One City Boulevard West, Suite 1110
Orange, CA 92868
Local: 714-939-0111
Toll free: 877-600-8257
Fax: 714-978-7347
Map and Directions

Free Initial Consultation*
*consultation fee waived upon retention

Rosen & Rosen, LLP, provides legal advice and representation to clients in Orange, California, and communities throughout Orange County, including the cities of Yorba Linda, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Santa Ana, Fullerton, Anaheim, Tustin, Brea, Placentia, Garden Grove, Anaheim Hills, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest and Laguna.