We can modify your custody order

Summertime is a good time to review the child custody orders that are in place for your kids. What typically happens is that the children "outgrow" the original order that may now be several years old.

For instance, if you divorced when your children were in preschool and they are now approaching middle school, a lot has changed in your kids' worlds since then. They may play on sports teams, take music or dance lessons or have other commitments related to their extracurricular activities.

And that doesn't even include the kids' social lives. Today's Tweens can have full schedules of birthday parties and sleepovers and resent when their parents' custody arrangements cause them to miss out on fun with their friends.

If you and your kids are chafing under the restrictions of a custody order that no longer serves your family's needs, it might be time to seek a custody modification that better reflects the present circumstances.

Ideally, you and your ex can work together to devise a new schedule to accommodate both the kids' and the parents' schedules. But we realize that is not always possible with some co-parents. We can file a motion to modify the existing custody order with the court and let the judge set the terms if your ex is unwilling to compromise.

Even when co-parents agree on the new custody terms, however, it is prudent to commit the changes to writing, file it with the court and get the judge to sign off on it. That way, if there are problems with the changes at some future point, you will have an order in place detailing what is to take place regarding the custody of your children.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Rosen & Rosen, LLP
One City Boulevard West, Suite 1110
Orange, CA 92868
Local: 714-939-0111
Toll free: 877-600-8257
Fax: 714-978-7347
Map and Directions

Free Initial Consultation*
*consultation fee waived upon retention

Rosen & Rosen, LLP, provides legal advice and representation to clients in Orange, California, and communities throughout Orange County, including the cities of Yorba Linda, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Santa Ana, Fullerton, Anaheim, Tustin, Brea, Placentia, Garden Grove, Anaheim Hills, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest and Laguna.