Law Offices of Rosen & Rosen, LLP

Attorneys at Law

Call Today To Schedule A Consultation
Get Map & Directions
Findlaw Network Badge

We can modify your custody order

On Behalf of | Jul 12, 2019 | Child Custody

Summertime is a good time to review the child custody orders that are in place for your kids. What typically happens is that the children “outgrow” the original order that may now be several years old.

For instance, if you divorced when your children were in preschool and they are now approaching middle school, a lot has changed in your kids’ worlds since then. They may play on sports teams, take music or dance lessons or have other commitments related to their extracurricular activities.

And that doesn’t even include the kids’ social lives. Today’s Tweens can have full schedules of birthday parties and sleepovers and resent when their parents’ custody arrangements cause them to miss out on fun with their friends.

If you and your kids are chafing under the restrictions of a custody order that no longer serves your family’s needs, it might be time to seek a custody modification that better reflects the present circumstances.

Ideally, you and your ex can work together to devise a new schedule to accommodate both the kids’ and the parents’ schedules. But we realize that is not always possible with some co-parents. We can file a motion to modify the existing custody order with the court and let the judge set the terms if your ex is unwilling to compromise.

Even when co-parents agree on the new custody terms, however, it is prudent to commit the changes to writing, file it with the court and get the judge to sign off on it. That way, if there are problems with the changes at some future point, you will have an order in place detailing what is to take place regarding the custody of your children.

Findlaw Network Badge